Thursday, November 15, 2012

5K Goals!

Arnold! I have no plans to ever get that big! Picture is pretty much unrelated!


Today was the annual Corporate Turkey Trot at my place of employment. 'Turkey' prize (usually a $25 gift card) for the top 3 male and female finishers.

This year I didn't care (that much) about top 3.

My goal was to first, achieve a 5k PR (so beat 21:53ish), and second, if possible, get below that 20 minute 5k time!

I also thought if I could achieve that goal I'd probably be in the top 3. We have some really fast competitors now! Remember that mile run a couple months back?

Yeah.

So how'd I do?

I finished FOURTH Place in 21:02!! DOH! So close! Yeah getting 4th made me care a little bit more about the top three! First place was 18:27!! He's the guy that beat me in the mile.

Hooray for a new PR, but dang on not beating 20 minutes. I'm not sure I'll be able to do it next week at the Turkey Leg either... We shall see!

After the 5k I decided that because of a crazy busy week I needed to do BJJ too! So we went over some takedowns from standing. Some excamples were the Scissor Sweep (which was a review), Hip Throw (from T stance), Blocked Hip throw to back trip, shooting and sprawling, Shoot to S-sit take-down, and Shoot to throw... Yeah those explanations were horrible... but really I have them here more for my review and remembrance than anything else.

Unfortunately this is not one that we did - but it's great! Also, I love gifs.


After we reviews those for a while the other participant had to leave for a meeting, so Micah and I grappled and I lost horribly very quickly almost immediately every time! The good thing about losing like that is it really makes me realize what I'm doing wrong.

"Crap! He caught my arm AGAIN!"

Really good ways to realize where your shortcomings are.

Like I mentioned this week has been pretty busy! I started the week attending an online training from home. I sit at a computer A LOT, but not usually for 9-10 hours STRAIGHT watching trainings and participating in labs. GREAT learning happening, but it drained me big time.

However that first day, I was still able to push myself through a fairly tough workout. Kind of like Cindy, but instead of 5 pullups, 10 pushups, 20 air squats, I did 10 L-sit Chin/Pull-ups (switched it up each time), 20 pushups, and 25 squats. Yeah adding another 5 squats would have been easy - but I didn't want to! 2 rounds of regular L-sit Pullups, 2 rounds of L-sit Chinups, and 1 round of Parallel grip L-sit pullups. 5 rounds of 20 pushups, and 4 rounds of 25 squats. 100 was a good number of squats and pushups. And I was tired and a little lazy so I didn't want to do one more set of bodyweight squats.

Really they get boring after a few rounds.

Other than that not much has happened! Hopefully we can have a Saturday morning trail run starting this week and continuing through the winter - I haven't heard back from any of the regular folks yet though, so we'll see how it works out.

Yoga and Rock Climbing tomorrow! I might go to Crossfit, but they moved it to earlier in the day, and I need to leave early to take my boys to Wreck it Ralph!

No comments:

Post a Comment